Sunday, October 26, 2008

Who Said That?

Every person must act according to what he thinks is right, regardless of the source of those values. Asking people to give up on what they think is true is asking them to live in an Orwellian world where they have to act like black is white and white is black, even is they don't believe it.

You are never gonna believe it.

Go ahead. Guess.

I'll tell yaz later, but you better strap in and hang on before I do that, or the decompression will probably cause injuries.

UPDATE:

Well, here it is. Sixth paragraph in that comment on this thread. Quite an interesting little tussle goin' on in the comments. I'm finding it fascinating how the one who keeps trying to tell others how they have to live according to her values doesn't want any value input into her own life from anyone else.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is fun. I might get my own. Thanks for letting me use yours.

Monday, October 27, 2008 2:52:00 PM  
Blogger Chimera said...

Er...yah, sure. My what?

Monday, October 27, 2008 6:25:00 PM  
Blogger M. B. Dezotell said...

I have stopped arguing with people about politics. I was under the mistaken impression that there was a rational debate, and made rational arguments. I put up facts, the other side put up lies. There was no fact that could not be countered with a lie. How do you fight that?

In the end, people will see what they want to see, and hear what they want to hear.

I was asked to help out with the election on a local level. I can't do it. I can't go door-to-door, or make cold calls, to speak with "undecided" voters and try to convince them that my cause is just.

If their minds are open, then they have seen and heard everything they need to see and hear to make an informed decision. If their minds are closed, then nothing I do or say will open them.

This election is a test. We will vote ourselves into whatever government we, as a nation, deserve. Then, we will have to live with it.

I voted. I'm done.

Now I'm just waiting to see if my country deserves to be saved.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 2:36:00 PM  
Blogger Chimera said...

"How do you fight that?"

A blunt instrument would be my own choice, but that's only because shotguns are messy, howitzers take up too much space, and uzis aren't legal.

"Now I'm just waiting to see if my country deserves to be saved."

And if not, I can meet you at the border and pilot you in for a safe landing.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:07:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Well, I'll be goddamned if I'm going to let people run me out of my own country. Fortunately, I'm pleased with the election results. But I was stayin' & fightin' anyhow.

Friday, November 07, 2008 4:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home