Friday, November 23, 2007

More On The Taser Incident At YVR

In an effort to get as much information as possible, I did the links-upon-links game and found the Blue Line Forums -- a board for cops and related professions.

And besides finding out that they're not all cut from the same bolt of cloth any more than are the rest of us, on page 9 of the thread that deals with the incident at YVR, I found a couple of interesting items:

"by gafaicheng on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:12 pm (about halfway down the page)

"First off: watch the footage in slow motion...

[snip]

"...Here's some more new findings:
a polish translator watched the footage; she says the guy is yelling ' I'll smash this glass! Back off! I'll sue you!'"

Hello?

But a little further down on that same page:

"by OPPAux on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:24 pm

"'My impression, based on the film, is that the police officers' action or reaction was unsuitable to the circumstances,' Piotr Ogrodzinski said from his office in the Polish embassy in Ottawa.

"'My impression is Mr. Dziekanski was, yes, agitated, frustrated, distressed, desperately in search of help, assistance, but he was not aggressive. I don't have the impression he intended to fight anybody.'"

His impression? Does he not speak Polish? Did he not listen to the audio?

Now, on top of I gotta decide whether to believe that the cops were correct or not in their decision to use the taser, I also gotta decide which Polish-speaking interpreter-of-the-video is telling the truth and which one is stringing me a line of bullshit?

POTRZEBUJĘ KOGOŚ MÓWIĆ MNIE PRAWDA!

13 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Very interesting... why do I now have a vision of a German behind a plant in my brain?... anyways... I have a co worker who is from Poland. I shall see if he will watch the video and translate... then we shall know who listened to what and who is on the right page here... I'll get back to on this one.

Friday, November 23, 2007 5:00:00 PM  
Blogger Chimera said...

LOL! You grew up on Laugh-In, too, didja?

That's a great idea, Tim. If he doesn't mind watching and listening, it would sure be a help to have another take on this.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 7:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that a second guy has been tasered to death in the Maritimes, is it rational to permit cops to use this deadly weapon at will. Surely we should at least have a moratorium until the investigations now under way are complete.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 9:29:00 AM  
Blogger Chimera said...

Can we please stop using the term, "tasered to death" until it has been proven that the actual cause of death was, in fact, the taser?

It may turn out to be the truth. Or maybe not. But why stir up a shitstorm of emotional rage over something we don't yet know about, and may have to retract later?

Saturday, November 24, 2007 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hey,Chimera, you left a comment at FG in Cajun. I know you live in Canada, but are you a displaced Cajun? Not many folks outside Louisiana know Cajun. So, I ax you, me, are you allons a Lafayette wit Jolie Blon? Lassiez les bon temps rouler. How can anyone not love a state that has that as their motto?

Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time commenter here, but wanted to tell Karen that the Maritimes has a very large Acadien population. Cajun is a derivative of Acadien. The Louisiana folk were expelled from the Maritimes by the British Protestants in the Great Expulsion of 1755. Many made their way back.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 6:07:00 AM  
Blogger Chimera said...

Karen: I understand it lots better than I speak it. I have a friend who still laughs at my attempts to talk. But I got that expression from Justin Wilson, who used to cook up some incredible edibles and then stand back and say, "Mmmmm, don't dat purdy?"

Witchpoo: Hi! We "met" over at Jean's. Don't be a stranger...

Sunday, November 25, 2007 11:22:00 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Upper date: Co worker has agreed to watch and translate things for me tonight... should have his translation tomorrow evening sometime.

Monday, November 26, 2007 5:25:00 PM  
Blogger Chimera said...

That's great, Tim. Hopefully, the audio is clear enough for him to hear something.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:18:00 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Upper upper date:

I'm still waiting... My Polish co worker has yet to come through. The good news is, I am not in the Vancouver airport as I wait!

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 6:05:00 PM  
Blogger Chimera said...

There's no real rush. The guys that get paid for investigating this are gonna take three days short of forever, anyway, so there's lotsa time. I'm more interested in the veracity of the information I'm getting than in how long it takes to get it.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 11:17:00 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Upper upper upper date...

Bad news... as much as he tried... he claimed to have watched the video 15 times... he could not make out anymore than I already knew... where Mr. Dziekanski screams out "police" twice just before the RCMP arrived on the scene. Very disappointing...

Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:33:00 PM  
Blogger Chimera said...

Ah, well...good try, Tim. It was worth a shot, I thought. Thank him for me, willya?

So now the question is, where did the "translation" come from? Whaddaya think of the possibility that the airport spokescritter lied when he said there was no tape (audio or video) from the airport security cameras because they were blocked by construction scaffolding...

Friday, November 30, 2007 12:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home