Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Let The Games Begin!

But wait till I get there!

It's Pipes-And-Drums season once again, and the highland spirit is calling. Time to immerse myself in the annual ritual of trying to figure out how the judges know when a piper is good or not good. I mean, it's not like every piper isn't playing in three keys simultaneously while trying to catch a panicked pig and give the cat a bath at the same time. That is the sound, isn't it?

And no, I have no idea why I love it like I do. Something about it simply raises every hair on my body, and I just have to be there...

This year's guaranteed venues are:

The BC Highland Games in Coquitlam. I sorta gotta be there. Not only is it in my back yard, so to speak, but friends of mine are involved. They would take it exceedingly ill if I went to an out-of-town show and didn't support the locals. Besides, two of the members of Spirit Of The West are entertaining this year...

The Pacific Northwest Highland Games in Enumclaw. This will be my first trip to this venue, and I've been lucky enough to hook up with a friend who has a campsite reserved and room to spare. And one of my all-time favorite troups of entertainers -- Wicked Tinkers -- are featured performers. These guys are un-bloody-believable! If you only listen to their music, you're missing half the show. I have rarely seen such energy in a performance!

Other Games may show up on my schedule, but these two are locked in. Now, where did I put my kilt, my haggis gun, and that bottle of single malt...?

1 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

So what you are saying is that you enjoy being bagged to deaf...

I enjoy the bag pipes but only at very short intervals. Anything more than a few minutes per month I consider painful and quite possibly torture!... :P

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 5:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home