Saturday, June 23, 2007

Enforcing Non-Existent Laws?

I haven't seen quite everything, yet, but it looks like I'm getting close.

Cops and security guards are trying to prevent law-abiding people from engaging in perfectly legal behavior in the name of "security" or some such stupidity. And they don't even really have the "good" excuse that if a thing is worth doing, it is worth over-doing.

Those who know me on a personal level know that this subject actually puts me in an interesting philosophical position. I'm publicly coming down on the side of people who want to take pictures of the sights around them. But don't anyone come anywhere near me with your camera, because I don't allow anyone to take my picture.

I am not a building. I am private property...mine.

Freedom of photography is also freedom from photography!

(H/T Cory)

3 Comments:

Blogger M. B. Dezotell said...

This is especially worrisome for me, since I make a living taking pictures of homes, often without the owner present.

After doing this for the last 2 years, I have yet to be questioned by any officer of the law, but I do occasionally get neighbors asking "what are you doing?"

"I'm a property inspector, and I'm documenting this home for my report."

"Oh. Okay."

Nobody's called the cops on me yet. If it happens, I can just show them my ID and explain why I'm there, but it could make for an interesting conversation...

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 8:58:00 AM  
Blogger Chimera said...

Taking pictures is part of your job, and you can prove it if you have to; but pity the poor tourist who simply finds the architecture interesting, or just wants a pictoral diary...or the photography student whose instructor told him to take pictures of buildings or streets...

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger JeanC said...

Yeah, I've been waiting for Homeland Insecurity to come after me becasue I like to take pics of places and such :D

Thursday, June 28, 2007 10:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home