Friday, May 04, 2007

Swedish Blog Supports Shane Doan

In my previous post, I had linked to a Swedish blog (pure lucky guess on my part) as an example of how this shameful attack on Shane Doan by our own government has been noted -- and commented upon -- around the world. Krohniskt noticed the link, and supplied the following translation, for which I send back many thanks:

The language on the link is Swedish. Here is a translation in short brief (don't mind the spelling please):

"The canadian parliamemt thinks that the choise of Shane Doan av captain of Team Canada is inapropriate. That’s something that can only happen in Canada, the parliament discussing hockey line ups. Even worse is that they summoned Hockey Canada officials to explain their choice of Doan. That’s almost humor. Imagine the swedish parliament summon Bengan Gustafsson (General Manager swedish national team) to explain the line up for Tre Kronor (swedish national team).

"And for what reason?

"Well, Shane Doan has an old accusation about racial slur towards him aganiskt a french-canadian linesman. I can’t find what he said but odds are low for something like frog. That Shane Doan was freed from the accusations by the NHL makes it even more rediculous.

"The IIHF chairman’s comment om this matter is both godd and entertaining:

"'We simply cannot have parliaments or governments interfering in things like the selection of a captain of a national team. Hockey Canada, its president Bob Nicholson, Team Canada's officials here in Moscow and, of course, Shane Doan have my personal support and the IIHF's full support in this matter. Also, personally, I cannot understand how Canada's national assembly can find time to deal with issues like these. I am very, very surprised, not to say shocked.'

"I can only agree. René Fasel, beeing av frech-swiss is fulle aware of howe it is beeing a linguistical minority. That he also is the chairman of the Coordination Commission for Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games, makes it even more funny. Vancouver is however closer to Phoenix, where Shane Doan plays hockey, than it is to frogcanada…"

end translation

I've signed the petition by the way and I'm urging more swedes to do so.

http://krohniskt.wordpress.com

Once again, Krohniskt, thank you!

And if anyone knows of a translating program that can outdo Babelfish, wouldja let me know, please?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I agree with you. It's awfull to see politicians asking those questions about Shame Doan. He's a leader and should be the leader of this team. We don't care about f.... francophones. F..... frenchmen are idiots, stupids, etc.
But I wonder if he could say the same thing to a black referee or a jewish referee.

Saturday, May 05, 2007 1:44:00 PM  
Blogger Chimera said...

Aw, don't hold it in, anon...the word you're trying not to say is "fucking."

It's okay. My blog won't melt if you scream a little louder...

Saturday, May 05, 2007 2:04:00 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

This whole thing is ridiculous. That Swedish blogs are taking note is not only sad, but embarrassing.

I LOVE the fact that Shane pulled a hat-trick. The best f*ck-you ever.

And yes, I've signed the petition.

Saturday, May 05, 2007 10:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home