Thursday, May 03, 2007

SaveDoan.ca

There's a petition up on the 'net for anyone who wants to express his views on Parliament's expropriation of Hockey Canada's jurisdiction in the management of Team Canada.

SaveDoan.ca

I sent an e-mail to my MP (Penny Priddy) yesterday, telling her how unhappy I am at Parliament's wasting time and taxpayer dollars on something that should be none of their concern.

I got an automated response back, telling me that she's too busy to reply, but she'll get back to me in a few weeks.

Too busy to reply to the concerns of her constituents. But not too busy to meddle in the business of something that is none of her business. I'll be remembering this come election time. And I'll be making sure that other constituents remember it, too.

Makes me ashamed to admit I'm Canadian.

Thanks to Garth for the petition link.



UPDATE: Here is a list of members of the Standing Committee on Official Languages. Funny thing...they're all from Ontario, Quebec, or New Brunswick. Not a Western Canadian in the bunch (and the Associates don't matter).

Shane, of course, is from Alberta...and he plays on an American team that is owned/coached by another Albertan.

Sometimes a conspiracy theory has merit...

And Still Later: Luc Malo, Bloc "member" for Verchères—Les Patriotes (and a bloody virgin at that -- this is his first term -- could be he's trying to get on the map with his leader?) was the one who started this mess. Catch him trying to justify his actions in this video.

Meanwhile, Canada is becoming a laughingstock around the world. Anybody know what language this one is in? Looks like it might be Swedish, but I'm not sure...

3 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

de'moaning continues...

Thursday, May 03, 2007 7:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The language on the link is Swedish. Here is a translation in short brief (don't mind the spelling please):

The canadian parliamemt thinks that the choise of Shane Doan av captain of Team Canada is inapropriate. That’s something that can only happen in Canada, the parliament discussing hockey line ups. Even worse is that they summoned Hockey Canada officials to explain their choice of Doan. That’s almost humor. Imagine the swedish parliament summon Bengan Gustafsson (General Manager swedish national team) to explain the line up for Tre Kronor (swedish national team).

And for what reason?

Well, Shane Doan has an old accusation about racial slur towards him aganiskt a french-canadian linesman. I can’t find what he said but odds are low for something like frog. That Shane Doan was freed from the accusations by the NHL makes it even more rediculous.

The IIHF chairman’s comment om this matter is both godd and entertaining:

"We simply cannot have parliaments or governments interfering in things like the selection of a captain of a national team. Hockey Canada, its president Bob Nicholson, Team Canada's officials here in Moscow and, of course, Shane Doan have my personal support and the IIHF's full support in this matter. Also, personally, I cannot understand how Canada's national assembly can find time to deal with issues like these. I am very, very surprised, not to say shocked."

I can only agree. René Fasel, beeing av frech-swiss is fulle aware of howe it is beeing a linguistical minority. That he also is the chairman of the Coordination Commission for Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games, makes it even more funny. Vancouver is however closer to Phoenix, where Shane Doan plays hockey, than it is to frogcanada…

end translation

I've signed the petition by the way and I'm urging more swedes to do so.

http://krohniskt.wordpress.com

Friday, May 04, 2007 1:06:00 AM  
Blogger Chimera said...

Oh, thank you! I don't mind the spelling at all. I very much appreciate the translation, and I'll post this separately.

Friday, May 04, 2007 11:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home