Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Born-Again Flamingo

Aw, I purely love this story! For more than one reason, on several levels, it just tickles me all over!

"...WWT staff took an old eggshell, carefully popped the newborn chick inside, taped it up and returned it to Carlos and Fernando's empty nest. The pair were soon seen "talking" to the chick inside the egg and a little while later the chick hatched for a second time..."

A few months ago, I got into a "discussion" on the Shotgun about some of the bullshit reasons people dredge up in order to discriminate against homosexuals. I just happened to question why, if god didn't like homosexuality, did he create other animals besides humans that were homosexual?

Well, you'd a' thunk I was attacking motherhood, apple pie, and the blessed virgin's sincerity in swearing she never had sex with that man...

One poor little weeper almost literally fell apart and dissolved into tears on the thread! She kept telling me I didn't love animals if I insisted on slandering them, and then she'd implore me to "take that back!" I got accused of making up all the news stories about gay animals (all by myself, too -- wasn't I an amazin' person?).

It was a hoot. Pathetic, but hilarious at the same time. I didn't know that in this day and age, people with access to so much information and education can actually be that ignorant.

Well, Carlos and Fernando are gay. They are also damed good -- even insistent -- parents.

To the homophobes of the world, the question now is: Whatcha gonna do about it?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Getting into a discussion about anything (let alone sexuality of any nature) at the Shotgun has got to be a pretty unproductive experience.

I don't read the Shotgun much, but I predict that the answers for your question were [stock] biblical in nature.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 7:58:00 AM  
Blogger Chimera said...

You been there, huh? LOL!

Mostly I go there to needle an old friend about some of the ideas in his essays. Sometimes I go there looking to prick a particular bubble of cant. And like most amusements, it's not productive. But it can be diverting, if you're in the right mood...

Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:53:00 AM  
Blogger genslub3 said...

is extinction productive?

oh sorry "sexuality"

Saturday, May 26, 2007 9:07:00 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

I'm curious as to who is going to pay for the flamingo-shrink that little baby is going to need for having to hatch twice? (kidding)

I didn't know there were gay flamingos!

Friday, June 01, 2007 12:25:00 AM  
Blogger Chimera said...

Ah...lol...with that coloring, and those legs, how can flamingoes not be gay? 8D

Monday, June 04, 2007 10:58:00 AM  
Blogger Candace said...

excellent point, C

Monday, June 11, 2007 11:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home