Friday, January 05, 2007

Just Another Day

Nothing special. It started snowing about two o'clock this morning. About twelve hours later, the snow turned to rain and just kept falling. Did you know that water-soaked snow makes almost as good a dam as sandbags for holding back water and forcing it into deep puddles/ponds/lakes? Neither did the local road-and-parking-lot-and-sidewalk crews, who decided to quit clearing as soon as it started to rain. "Soaked to the skin" became more than just a phrase to me. I think my toes started to web.

YVR went into lockdown over losing a passenger who was "carrying too much liquid." Hell, everything today was carrying too much liquid. He left the line to get rid of it, then went the wrong way back through his checkpoint without going through screening again. So they shut down the entire international departure level. I wonder if anyone thought about about simply paging him and asking him to come back to the security line? I didn't think so.

The Marshmallow In Bondage got a flat. Management noticed a tear in the fabric and decided to collapse it before huge chunks of it blew away in the high winds. Nobody thought to warn the workers inside the dome what was going on, though. "Man the pumps" became more than just a phrase to a lot of people shortly after that. Opposition MLA runs around like headless chicken, blaming the government. Callers to the local radio talk shows want VANOC to pay for the repairs instead of the local governments, since the stadium is supposed to be the center of opening and closing the Olympics is 2010. I don't suppose anyone realizes that it doesn't matter who actually writes the cheque -- the taxpayers are gonna end up out-of-pocket on it in the long run. Naw...probably not.

And chimerae are illegal in Canada. I'm contraband in my own country. *sigh* I better go pack.

But hey! We got a hat trick! And suddenly, it's a beautiful day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

When it snows, ain't it thrilling,
Though your nose gets a chilling
We'll frolic and play, the Eskimo way,
Walking in a winter wonderland.

About time you westerners got a taste of Canada!

You are only 99.5% human...I knew there was something different about you!

Friday, January 05, 2007 9:46:00 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

I noticed, when living there, that road maintenance workers have zero sense when it comes to snow & water & the various combinations.

Hope your jammies & cocoa hit the spot!

Saturday, January 06, 2007 9:45:00 AM  
Blogger DazzlinDino said...

So do you have webbed toes? Excessive body hair? A ducks bill? What are you crossed with?

Saturday, January 06, 2007 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Chimera said...

Being 99.5% human still puts me ahead of a bar of Ivory soap, which is only 99.44% pure...

The cocoa hit the spot. The jammies covered it (as well as most of my other spots)!

Yes to webbed toes (really -- it's genetic), maybe to excessive body hair, depending on the comparison -- you talking Xoloitzcuintle or Sasquatch? And the only bills I have are the ones where I need to send money.

I am crossed with silver on a good day.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 1:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home