Thursday, January 04, 2007

A Cold Chill...

...just galloped up my spine and danced a drunken jig on my head.

The US Deparment of Defense is giving money to genetic researchers to fund their location of DNA sequences that are incompatable with life.

As a scientific puzzle, this concept is wonderfully intriguing. And the geneticists are a little like I was when I was a kid -- they want to take things apart and put them back together differently, just to see what happens. Except that I was playing with a sewing machine and a lawnmower, neither of which was ever quite the same ever again.

The fact that they are playing with the core stuff of life itself -- that scares the shit outa me!

And that was before I read where the Defense Department was actually paying them -- which means it will own the results, whatever they are! And don't we all love and trust the US Department of Defense?

"...the next step is to test 20 of the peptoprimes in bacteria and human cells to see whether they have any effect such as causing death or provoking an immune reaction."

Gods help us!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Very Very scary! I am one of those who looks at all the "new" diseases, virus's and cancers and says, "I wonder what government was behind this one". This time I don't have to ask!

Thursday, January 04, 2007 5:19:00 PM  
Blogger Candace said...

YIKES! And yet, people think that having a conservative-leaning oversight committee on stem-cell research is a bad thing? They play similar games, do they not?

Thursday, January 04, 2007 7:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home