Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Aw, Nuts!

If you're a squirrel, and you live in a city, a biologist from Chicago would like to ask you a few questions.

I've got a few questions for him to ask, myself. Like how can they tell, when I'm walking down the street, whether or not I'm carrying walnuts? X-Ray vision would explain how it is that they're right every time...and they scamper fearlessly up to me whenever I happen to have lunch in my pockets...and avoid me (but scold furiously and safely from the inner branches of a nearby tree -- and just where do squirrels learn that kind of language, anyway?) when I don't.

Joel Brown might want to pose a few questions of some bloggers, as well. JimBobby is a staunch defender of hearth and home from the furred guerillas. And Bill Doskoch reports not just one, but two encounters with wee beasties.

Shadowtail is often cute, but he does have his enemies. The squirrel in the video, by the way, is not trying to eat the wounded baby -- she's trying to rescue it.

I wonder what Lord Bump thinks of all this squirricentric curiosity?

3 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

"They are the clowns in your backyard,"
So true! My bird feeder at the lake is on a 7'X 1" steel pole. The only way I have found to stop the cute buggers from getting up there, and believe me I have tried many, is to grease up the pole. It works for a short time only as they manage to eventually rub all the grease off. I gave up and started putting nuts on a lower shelf on the pole. They still seem to prefer the seeds in the bird feeder though.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 8:39:00 PM  
Blogger JimBobby said...

Whooee! Thankee fer the link-up, Chimer. Yer readers'll be happy t' know I ain't had anymore bushytailed rats inside the house since I got rid o' the latest invader. If only he'd tried harder t' win our hearts an' minds, I might let'm stay.

JB

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 7:24:00 AM  
Blogger Chimera said...

Tim: They are nothing if not inventive. And persistent.

JB: What? Cute ain't enuf? He's gotta win yer love, too? Sheesh...they ain't no pleasin' sum peepul...

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 1:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home