Friday, December 08, 2006

The Junco Flutter Dance

Since I put up the feeding station for the winter birds, I've had lots of opportunity to watch the social interactions of the different species. The Siskins are shy and solitary, preferring to come to the feeder when no one else is around. The Chickadees would make great smash-and-grab artists, making beelines for whichever feeder carries what they want, then grabbing it and getting outa there. But the Juncos...

Ah, the Juncos are communal, at least in feeding. At times the balcony looks like someone put out the call for a feathered rave party. But there's one little hitch -- there always seems to be one more bird than there are places to perch. A bird without a perch tries to get a perch, and the ensuing fuss resembles an avian version of a Chinese Fire Drill.

Hence the following lyric. It won't leave me alone, so I've decided to publish it and see if that will diminish the 4/4 beat of it drumming in my head tonight, and I might be able to get some sleep.

I've written a lot of lyrics in my time, but I do believe this is the only one I've ever written from the viewpoint of a bird:

The Junco Flutter Dance

Two in the tree and two on the rail
One on the feeder that hangs from the nail
I'm over here and I wanna be there
So I jump up and flutter in the air
And we all jump up and flutter in the air.

The millet spray is empty; there ain't no more
So I hunt for seed on the balcony floor
Searching for seed everywhere
And I jump up and flutter in the air
And we all jump up and flutter in the air.

Two on a feeder is one too many
You've got seed but I ain't got any
Sunflower hog! That ain't fair!
And I jump up and flutter in the air!
And we all jump up and flutter in the air!

Now I'm standing guard on the big seed bell
You can go get your own or you can go to hell
I've got the bell and I ain't gonna share
So you jump up and flutter in the air
And we all jump up and flutter in the air.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Your Junco's sound just like the Evening Grosbeak's up at the cabin. They do the same dance at least.

Friday, December 08, 2006 5:27:00 PM  
Blogger Chimera said...

Cabin...as "in the woods?" Away from "civilization?" With resident wildlife? Sounds wonderful!

Saturday, December 09, 2006 12:01:00 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Yes that would be the place... 2.5 hours north of Deadmonton... wildlife abounds, unfortunately civilization has creeped in as well in the past few years. Went from just 9 cabins a few years ago to "I have lost count" now. The developer has opened up a bunch more to be sold off. May have to move further north soon if it keeps up. Oh wait...forget north, that is all ruined by oil and gas.

Saturday, December 09, 2006 3:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home