Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Peronification

There has been a huge kafuffle over the Body Worlds 3 exhibit at Science World in Vancouver. If you live in the Vancouver area, you know where Science World is -- it's that big golf ball that looks like it was made of millions of rolls of tinfoil and then got driven off the tee and right into the water trap at False Creek. Otherwise known as Main Street Station on the Skytrain.

Anyway, Dr. Gunther von Hagens has brought his show to town. And what a show it has been so far! If the polarization of public opinion was ever one of his targets, he's already a huge success!

I keep wanting to step in and say, "People...this is a science exhibit. It could be educational. It might even be interesting. Before you go off half-cocked and lynch the presenter, why don't you at least go see it first?"

Several high schools had been planning day trips to the exhibit. Some squeamish adults complained, and most of the schools have cancelled their day trips. Note that it wasn't the students who complained, but adults. The students can't wait to get in there.

I see letter to the editors of the local papers all the time asking why "we" (whoever "we" are) want to damage the sensitive psyches of our children with such gruesome details of dead corpses! I tell ya -- it's not the kids who are being creeped out by this; it's the adults. The kids freakin' love it!

There was even one guy who wrote a letter supposing that the bodies being exhibited are all former Falun Gong practitioners, and we should all stay away from the exhibit or we'll be supporting the Communist Chinese government in its genocidal efforts to wipe out Falun Gong.

Somebody else protested by saying, "What if it was one of your relatives that people are staring at?" Truthfully? Mom woulda been tickled pink. She always did love a party. And she left her body to science, so it's entirely possible that she's there already.

We are a society bent on making choices on behalf of everyone else. I decided a long time ago not to allow other to make choices for me. I'm going to the show this weekend.

If you're local, hope to see ya there!

5 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

I gotta ask....WHY? I have a hell of of a time keepin my composure at funerals...never mind something like this. I have not heard of this exhibit until just now. Thanks for ruinin my supper....lol

Hope you give us all the gory details after seein it. Have fun?

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 7:04:00 PM  
Blogger Daz said...

A friend of mine is volunteering at this display. I've been hassling her into trying to find some compo tickets or the like. Love to hear what you thought of it afterwards.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 10:38:00 PM  
Blogger Chimera said...

Tim: Why? Good question. Also, why not?

I guess it's not a good idea for everyone. My younger sibling, for example, could never even put a foot in the door without losing his breakfast from two weeks ago. On the other hand, I'm one of those insatiably curious creatures that just needs to know everything I can about all kinds of things. The inner workings of the human body is one of those things. And from what I understand from people who have been, this exhibit beats the hell outa all those "invisible man" plastic models.

Daz: I will for sure be doing a review. If volunteers get comps, you might want to volunteer yourself...I've seen ads that say they're looking for volunteers...

Thursday, October 12, 2006 8:48:00 AM  
Blogger talk talk talk / Shireen said...

There was a bit of a dust-up in Toronto, but nothing like what you relate! The only bodies in the exhibit are from people who gave them willingly for this use in the country this exhibit originated in. The uniqueness of it is the way he artistically shows the bodies in action or the way organs look. I hope you enjoy it!

Friday, October 13, 2006 10:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummmmm suuuure, why not....

I don't get protestors at things like this. I mean, if you don't like a TV show, you just turn the station, if you don't like the exibhit, don't go, plain and simple.

Friday, October 13, 2006 7:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home