Thursday, June 15, 2006

DaVinci Da Movie

I went to see The DaVinci Code last night. I had to go. I was being pushed.

I mean, I was going to see it anyway, eventually. Oh, I might have waited until the DVD came out, so I could watch it in the comfort of my own home, as I do with so many other movies. But I had to go see it in the theater. Something was giving me not-much-choice.

A couple days ago, I went out and bought a few DVDs. Among them was Stealth. I've been wanting to see this one for a long time -- kind of a sequel to Top Gun (in which the real stars were the Tomcats, not the Tom Cruise). This, by th' way, is a terrific action movie about a completely fictional (isn't it?) unmanned stealth fighter with its own intelligence and emotions. His name is EDI -- pronounced "Eddy" -- and while I know that a lot of the flight sequences were CGI, if you like movies with supratechnology, you'll like this one.

Anyway. I opened the box to get the disc out, and there on the inside of the cover was a free ticket to go see The DaVinci Code (different link) at my local theater complex!

"Cool," I thought to myself, and magnetized it to the fridge door in case someone wanted to use it.

Picked up the mail yesterday, and there, tucked in between the Safeway flier and the hermetically sealed Readers' Digest was a neatly folded (and necessarily empty) popcorn bag from my local theater complex, with a coupon sticking out of it that promised to fill the bag with popcorn if I'd come see a movie!

Okay. I can take a hint. While I like popcorn, but not movie popcorn, whatever forces are involved might not be able to tell the difference between movie popcorn and real popcorn. I took the ticket off the fridge and went to see the movie. Before yet another hint landed. No telling what form the next hint might take, after all. I really would not be up to entertaining any albino monks who might be wandering through my neighborhood...

I read the book a long time ago, so I can't compare it to the movie. I do remember that I read the book almost at a single sitting. The movie moves just about as fast. Keep in mind that everything happens in one twenty-four-hour period, and that nobody stops to eat, drink, sleep, or pee. Suspend disbelief for the time it takes to watch, and just enjoy yourself.

If you've read the book, you've got your own built-in spoiler. And while the movie doesn't follow the book slavishly, it follows the book closely enough that there aren't really any surprises.

There is nothing insulting to any religion in this movie. Pay no attention to the assholes who say there is. They haven't seen it. Or if they have seen it, they weren't paying attention. Period.

The cinematography is bloody excellent! There are some wonderfully innovative composite shots that blend past and present pretty seamlessly, and they contribute nicely to the flow of the movie.

The score by Hans Zimmer was great. It may not win an album-of-the-year award, but it does what it's supposed to do -- it loads your emotional responses.

Give your reality a break. Go see The DaVinci Code (different link again).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, you sold me where many others couldn't....I'll go check it out....

Thursday, June 15, 2006 4:01:00 PM  
Blogger Chimera said...

Okay. And while I wasn't really trying to sell it, what was it I said that was so different from what others said?

I may want to go into politics, and every advantage would help... ;-D

Friday, June 16, 2006 9:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home