Friday, November 11, 2005

Last Post

Well, I learn something new every day!

I went looking for a sound file for "Last Post," the bugle/trumpet (depending on the skill of the player, I guess) piece played at the cenotaph. I wanted to link to it so it could be played from my blog. Didn't find it (maybe looking in the wrong place), but I did find this. There are actually lyrics to it!

THE WORDS TO THE LAST POST
Come home! Come home! The last post is sounding
for you to hear. All good soldiers know very well there
is nothing to fear while they do what is right, and forget
all the worries they have met in their duties through the
year. A soldier cannot always be great, but he can be a
his squad. So all you soldiers listen to this – Deal fair by all
and you’ll never be amiss.
Be Brave! Be Just! Be Honest and True Men!

I have also always known The Veterans' Prayer:

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

This is a verse in a larger work, called For The Fallen. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and hit some of the links for more information on traditions, where they originate, and why they're observed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home