Thursday, September 01, 2005

Help Katrina's Victims

Everyone, but everyone is posting about Katrina and all the horrific damage she left behind. I'm not ignoring this, but I don't want to be redundant, either. I don't have anything unique to say about it.

However...for those of you who are looking for a way to help (and yes, I know you're tripping over all those "Donate" buttons on every website), I recommend visiting DazzlinDino at BPOC, scroll down to the bottom of the article, and click on the link to the Mennonite Disaster Services.

Why this link in particular?

Because, from the dealing I've had with the MCCC stores and their Ten Thousand Villages shops for the past several years, I know that a higher percentage of your donation will actually reach the intended recipients.

They have no paid administrators that take a percentage off the top for salaries or "administration costs" -- whatever the heck that is! They are all volunteers. Any small percentage taken from your donation is being taken by the administrators of those electronic transfer systems whose buttons you click to send money.

And if, like me, you do not/cannot make online monetary transfers, all you need to do is find a local MCCC (Mennonite Central Committee Canada) store, and make an in-person donation. To locate one near you, click on this link, find your province on the left, and look for the locations of their thrift stores or Ten Thousand Villages stores.

Go. Do it now. People need us...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home